Thursday, January 26, 2012

DIY: Hand Printing



I have recently discovered just how much I love hand printing my own fabrics. I have going a bit crazy with printing scarves, dresses, and a multitude of other things. One of my first projects was this fox print scarf.




I picked up an entire bolt of this sheer fabric for three dollars a few months ago and I thought that it would be perfect to make a few scarves with. I made two stamps. One was a fox and one was a cat. I will share both of my finished products later but I thought that first I would cover how I got started on it.

For this project you will need: fabric of your choice, a photo or sketch of your choice, sticky-back fun foam, a block of foam, fabric paint, scissors, and a paintbrush. You will also need newspaper to cover your entire work space.



First, you need to decide what shape you are wanting. I found it easiest to look up images online to help me with the basic shape. It is important to note here that if the direction of the shape is significant, you may need to flip your image before printing. I printed the photo off, and then cut out the shape. Next, I used my shape to trace the shape onto fun foam. Then simply remove the back and stick the foam to the block. Your stamp is now ready to use.
This is the fun part. You need to set out your fabric on an entirely covered surface. You may need to tape it down to make sure that it stays in place. At this point you can stamp in whatever pattern you would like. Just have fun with it. Once you get to making the stamps you can have so much fun. I have been working on so many projects and I am having so much fun.



Let me know if you have any questions! I would love to see any of your projects that you have hand stamped!

No comments:

Post a Comment